So far, this year has been a happy one for me. There have been small lows, just within my own mood, but they have been greatly diminished by the highs. I have been more grateful and positive. I’ve noticed happy moments and I’ve ignored the bad ones. Yesterday I watched a mom with her two young boys checking out in Trader Joe’s and it made my day. The boys wanted to get her a birthday card, she let them choose one and they secretly let the cashier scan it and then he got them pens to write her a note. And after they kept hiding the card behind their backs on the way out. If I was PMSing I would have cried from the cuteness! This is just one example of how I’ve been letting small things like this make me happy even if I had a blah day at work. I’ve been doing more things to promote self love in my life, Here is a list of some things that have been making me happy this month (material and nonmaterial).
First is music; I’ve been listening and finding a lot of new (and new to me) music.
- Everything I’ve heard from The Head and the Heart is amazing. I’ve noticed their second album sounds a lot like Kopecky, so if you like that one a lot check Kopecky out!
- Neptune “Two Blue Eyes.” Maybe this is because it’s because I have blue eyes but I’m digging this love song.
- Dermot Kennedy “After Rain.”
- Beyoncé Lemonade. This album is awesome and I know I’m late to the Lemonade game.
- The Chainsmokers “Paris”
One of my New Year’s Resolutions is to use what I have and stop what Jenna Marbles once called “goo hoarding” so I am working on using up my makeup but there are a few makeup favorites this month.
- e.l.f. Baked highlighter
- Tarte tinted moisturizer
- Tarte Rainforest of the Sea foundation
I finally have time to read for pleasure now that I am not in school anymore, so I have a long list of books I want to read. Here are the few I’ve started (or finished) and am loving.
- The Soul Searchers Handbook by Emma Mildon (finished this one, it took about a year with my class work and the last chapter fell at the best time in my life to truly absorb what it meant.)
- Big Magic by Elizabeth Gilbert(this is the author of Eat Pray Love and she is such an amazing writer!)
- Perfectly Imperfect by Baron Baptiste (this one is really inspiring my yoga practice)
Now here is the list of my random favorites this month. Some I have been loving since January too.
- Year of You. I’ve been watching Marissa Lace on YouTube for a few years now. She did Year of You for 2016 to create habits to live a better life. I liked the idea of it then but now I am much more open to it and am participating this year!
- Meal tracking/planning. I’ve had a few slip ups with being vegan the last few months with dairy and I want to hold myself accountable and make sure I am eating clean.
- Cooking. This is also connected to the meal tracking. By cooking my own food I am eating fresh and clean. I am enjoying cooking a lot more lately, which I can tell my dad loves since he went to cooking school.
- Long drives on the roads less traveled. I have been loving taking long drives through scenic areas (this isn’t hard in the Napa and Sonoma areas) and enjoying the views and music I play.
- Meeting new people, hearing their stories and what they are passionate about. This has always been an interest of mine but I am falling for it all over again.